Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Best Friend's Baby Story: Birth Photography Rolla, MO

I had the incredible opportunity to photograph the arrival of my best friend, Jennifer's, newest bundle of joy on Monday. Birth photography is something that I have been wanting to do for a long time, but with my husband's work situation it is nearly impossible to offer that service to my clients. For my friends, well, I'll do my best to make it happen when I can, and won't feel quite as bad if I can't make it :P! I hope I have the opportunity to do it again sometime!

Jenn was scheduled to arrive at the hospital at 5:30am. I arrived around 6:30. I've never experience labor from the point of an onlooker, and when it was myself in labor, it didn't take long at all since I was blessed with 2 very fast labor and deliveries! But to be honest, the waiting stuff was pretty boring and uneventful (I can say that because she's my friend).
IMG_0404
see, she thought it was boring too
IMG_0428 copy

Finally around 1:30pm, she was ready to start pushing.

IMG_0433 copy

She pushed
IMG_0432 copy

And I told jokes about how boring labor was :P

IMG_0429 copy

And she pushed
IMG_0436 copy

And pushed

IMG_0437 copy

Unfortunately, Baby Shelby was right side up and was just not wanting to come out. Even with  vacuum assistance, there was just no getting her out. The main problem being that the baby's heart rate was dropping super low with each contraction. Had she been able to handle the contractions, Jenn might still be there pushing ;). Her doctor gave her the option of either trying forceps or heading to the OR for a c-section. Jenn went with the c-section.
IMG_0442 copy
Letting the idea of a c-section sink in

I was so looking forward to capturing her face when she saw Shelby's for the first time. But, healthy baby and mommy were absolutely the most important thing and I would just have to settle for big brother's face the first time he saw her. And what a sweet face it was!
IMG_0450 copy
Shelby is a healthy 6 lbs 6 oz and 19 inches long
IMG_0453 copy
see the photographer? ;)
Finally after an hour or so in recovery, Jenn was ready to see Miss Shelby again.
IMG_0469 copy
Jenn and Shelby both caught a quick nap before moving into their new room.

Cooper is so happy to finally have Shelby on the outside. And let me tell you, he does not care to share her with anyone!
IMG_0480 copy
Cooper said to me, "Don't you just love her?"
IMG_0479 copy
Yes, yes I do, Cooper!
Welcome to the world, Shelby!
IMG_0476 copy

No comments:

Post a Comment